Transcarpathian cabbage rolls
I declare this week - the Week of Carpathian cuisine and continue to acquaint you with my favorite recipes. And, of course, one cannot do without "golubts" (emphasis on the letter O). It is these "golubts" that have been prepared in my family for over 40 years. This recipe is basic, but cabbage rolls are prepared in the Carpathians with corn grits and millet, mushrooms and ham, and lean cabbage rolls are cooked with potatoes.
Be sure to write down the recipe for yourself, you will get very tasty and with a real mushroom aroma.
- Minced meat - 700 gr. (500 grams of pork and 200 grams of beef)
- Rice - half a glass
- Onions - 1 pc.
- Cabbage - 1 pc. (choose softer)
- Tomato paste - 2 tbsp spoons
- Vegetable oil - 30 ml.
- Salt - 1-2 teaspoons (or to taste)
- Sugar - 1 tbsp. the spoon
- Seasoning from white, dried Carpathian mushrooms - 1 tbsp. the spoon.
- Black pepper to taste.
How to cook:
- Rinse the rice 3 times and boil in plenty of salted water for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the cabbage leaves. And now a little secret - how we do it. To begin with, cut a stump of cabbage, then cut each leaf on top, cut in half on the cabbage itself. Since we are preparing Carpathian cabbage rolls, which are small, so our leaves should be small. Cut the hard center of the sheet. Then dip each half of the leaf in boiling water and boil for 3-4 minutes and carefully remove and let cool. Caution - it's hot!
- Prepare minced meat from meat and onions.
- Mix minced meat with cooled rice, salt, pepper and wrap in half a cabbage leaf, about 1 tablespoon of minced meat.
- Place a few cabbage leaves on the bottom of a heavy-bottomed saucepan (so that the cabbage rolls do not accidentally burn). Place the cabbage rolls tightly in layers in a saucepan, fill with cold purified water to cover all the cabbage rolls and cook. When the cabbage rolls boil, cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the roast at this time. Pour oil into the pan. Add tomato paste, heat it and add sugar. The gravy should be a little sweet. Season with salt and simmer for five minutes.
- When cabbage rolls have boiled for 20 minutes, add frying, porcini mushroom seasoning to the pan and simmer over low heat for another 15-20 minutes until the cabbage is fully cooked and soft.
- The main differences between Carpathian cabbage rolls are: small size, they are prepared without carrots and with mushrooms or mushroom seasoning.
- When serving ready-made "golubtsi" pour sour cream.